You’ve just bought a new house, and you’re ready to start painting. But there’s one problem: you’re not sure what kind of paint to use. It has been suggested that soft sheen is the best choice for living rooms and bedrooms, but you’re not sure if it will go over your existing matt paint.
A soft sheen finish is a paint with a slight gloss to it, which can add a touch of elegance and sophistication to any room. And as per the golden rule of painting: Oil over water; it can be applied over flat or lean coats of previous paints.
So, your curious mind wants to know: Can I Paint Soft Sheen Over Matt? In this blog post, we will discuss your very factual question at length, and we will also cover all the relevant answers to the questions so that you may decide for yourself about the painting job you want to undertake.
The short answer is yes, you can paint a soft sheen over matt. You can also use satin paint on matt. In general, soft sheen paint will adhere to matt, but you may need to prime the surface first to help with the adhesion of the new paint. Yet, before you rush to the nearby hardware stores or order supplies online, there are a few things you need to understand. Namely, the nature of “matt” and “soft sheen” paints.
There are two main types of paint finishes; matte (or “flat”) and glossy (or “sheen”). Flat paint has no shine whatsoever, while glossy paint has a very high shine. In between these two extremes are various degrees of satin, semi-gloss, and high-gloss finishes.
Matte paint is the best choice for hiding imperfections in walls because it doesn’t reflect light. However, it’s also more susceptible to dirt and markings than other types of paint. This is why many people choose to use semi-gloss or high-gloss paints in areas that are likely to get dirty, such as kitchens and bathrooms.
Sheen refers to how glossy a paint finish is. The light diffuses more in flat paints than in glossy ones because glossy paints are shiny and reflect more light. They are easier to clean but show imperfections more easily. They also highlight any brush strokes made during application.
For these reasons, you should only paint a soft sheen over the matt when your matt finish is done flawlessly. Otherwise, the glossy paint will only accentuate the flaws of your paint, and the whole point of the painting will lose its value.
1. Start with a good-quality brush. When it comes to achieving a smooth paint finish, the quality of your brush can make all the difference. A good rule of thumb is to choose a brush that’s slightly softer than the surface you’re painting (so, for example, if you’re painting over a very rough surface, opt for a stiffer brush). This will help to avoid any unwanted brush marks in your final paint job.
2. Use even strokes. Once you’ve chosen the right brush, it’s time to start painting. Be sure to use even strokes when applying your paint, going back over any areas that seem thin or patchy. It’s often helpful to use painter’s tape along any edges or corners to ensure crisp, clean lines.
3. Let the first coat dry completely before applying a second coat. This may seem like common sense, but it’s important nonetheless. Be sure to let your first coat of paint thoroughly dry before painting over it. Otherwise, you risk creating streaks or unevenness in your final paint job.
4. Sanding between coats can create an ultra-smooth surface. For an extra-smooth surface, consider sanding between coats of paint using fine-grit sandpaper (200+). Just be sure not to sand too aggressively, or you could damage the underlying surface.
5. Apply a topcoat for added protection. Finally, once you’re happy with your paint job, consider applying a topcoat for added protection against wear and tear (especially if you’re painting high-traffic surfaces such as doors or cabinets). Topcoats can also give your paint job a nice shine and help it to last longer overall.
And that’s all there is to it. After the paint dries, you’ll have a beautiful new finish that’s easy to keep clean.
Soft sheen paint is a popular choice for many homeowners because it provides a smooth, even finish. But some people worry that the paint will be too shiny when applied over a matt surface.
Luckily, this is not usually the case. While soft sheen paint does have a slight sheen to it, it is not nearly as noticeable as other types of paint. as long as you apply the paint evenly and allows it to dry completely, you should be happy with the results.
Dulux soft sheen paint is a versatile product that can be used on a variety of surfaces. It is perfect for busy households as it is easy to clean and wipeable. The paint has a smooth finish and is available in a range of colors, making it perfect for any room in the house.
Dulux soft sheen paint is also durable and long-lasting, meaning it will still look great even after years of use. So, if you are looking for paint that is both practical and stylish, Dulux soft sheen paint is a perfect choice.
Soft Sheen paint is a type of paint that has a softer, shinier finish than eggshell. It is often used for painting walls and ceilings in homes because it has a more elegant finish than eggshell and is less likely to show imperfections on the surface.
Soft sheen paint is also easier to clean than eggshell, making it a good choice for areas that are prone to dirt and fingerprints. Despite its name, soft sheen paint is not as delicate as eggshell and can actually be quite durable.
When selecting the right soft sheen for an interior design project, there are many factors to consider. The type of surface being painted, the amount of traffic in the area, and the desired look are all important factors.
For example, a high-gloss finish is perfect for a low-traffic area such as a bedroom, while a semi-gloss or eggshell finish is ideal for a high-traffic area such as a kitchen. In terms of look, a soft sheen can create a warm and inviting space or a sleek and modern space. Ultimately, the right soft sheen depends on the specific needs of the project.
Matt finishes are known for their more natural look, as they don’t reflect light the way glossy paints do. This can be a big advantage when you’re trying to conceal imperfections on your walls. Soft sheen paint, on the other hand, has a slight gloss to it that helps to add depth and dimension to a room.
When painting over a matt finish with a soft sheen, you can expect the new paint to take around four hours to dry and a minimum of 16-20 hours for each coat. However, it’s always best to check the manufacturer’s instructions before starting your project.
Depending on the type of paint and finish you’re using, the drying time may be different. Once the paint is dry, you’ll be able to enjoy the benefits of both matt and soft sheen in your home.
If you’re thinking about giving your home a fresh new look. It depends on the look you’re going for and the condition of your walls. If you’re looking for a matte (or flat) finish, then soft sheen paint is not the right choice. But, if you want a bit of shine and your walls are in good condition, then soft sheen paint can give you the look you want.
Just make sure to apply a primer first so that the color goes on evenly. Keep these tips in mind, and you’ll be sure to achieve professional-looking results. We wish you all the best in your painting endeavor. Happy painting!
S. Pushon is a paint expert, self-taught artist, and currently working as an adviser in the paint industry as a Quality Improvement and Development Assistant.
An artist by heart, he draws remarkable art pieces and as a professional paint industry individual, he seeks the insight and shares with enthusiasts. Read more…