When it comes to choosing the perfect white paint for your home, the options can be overwhelming. Two popular choices in the world of interior design are Atrium White and White Dove from Benjamin Moore. These shades might seem similar at first glance, but each offers a unique character that can greatly influence the ambiance of your space.
In this article, we’ll walk into the key differences between Atrium White vs White Dove to help you make an informed decision that suits your aesthetic preferences and home decor style.
Atrium White OC-145, also known as OC-129, 876, PM-13, a member of the Benjamin Moore white palette, is a shade that exudes a sense of freshness and lightness. It’s a soft and versatile hue that can instantly brighten up any room. The light undertones in Atrium White give it a crisp appearance without feeling stark, making it a fantastic choice for those seeking an airy and inviting atmosphere.
This shade’s versatility shines through when paired with different styles of decor. Whether your home is decorated with contemporary furniture or rustic wooden elements, Atrium White is a blank canvas that seamlessly complements various design elements. Its softness lends itself well to creating serene bedrooms and tranquil living spaces.
White Dove OC-17, also known as PM-19, another Benjamin Moore classic, boasts a timeless and elegant appeal. This shade’s subtle warmth sets it apart from other cooler whites. Its creamy undertones create a comforting ambiance, making it an excellent choice for creating cozy and welcoming spaces.
White Dove‘s ability to adapt to different lighting conditions is one of its standout features. It can appear slightly different throughout the day, adapting gracefully to natural and artificial lighting. This chameleon-like quality makes it a designer’s favorite, as it ensures your space looks harmonious no matter the time of day.
These two colors may look the same but have different characteristics. Let’s take a closer look at the key differences:
- Atrium White: This shade leans slightly cooler with subtle gray undertones. It has a clean and fresh appearance that can brighten up a space without feeling stark.
- White Dove: White Dove has warmer undertones with a hint of creaminess. These undertones contribute to a cozy and inviting ambiance.
- Atrium White: Due to its cooler undertones, Atrium White can appear slightly brighter and crisper, reflecting light in a way that adds a sense of airiness to a room.
- White Dove: White Dove’s warmer undertones can absorb and reflect light differently, creating a softer and warmer glow that can make a room feel cozier.
- Atrium White: This shade adapts well to various lighting conditions, maintaining its fresh appearance. It’s particularly suited for rooms with abundant natural light.
- White Dove: White Dove is highly versatile when it comes to lighting. It can appear slightly different in different lighting settings, adjusting its warmth accordingly.
- Atrium White: Atrium White often creates a modern or minimalist vibe. It’s well-suited for spaces that aim to feel open, bright, and breezy.
- White Dove: White Dove displays a more traditional and timeless mood. Its warm undertones make it popular for creating cozy, classic, and inviting interiors.
- Atrium White: Atrium White’s neutral and cooler base coordinates well with a variety of decor styles and color palettes. It acts as a blank canvas, allowing other colors and elements to stand out.
- White Dove: White Dove‘s warmer undertones can complement traditional and vintage decor, enhancing wood tones and creating a harmonious blend with natural materials.
- Atrium White: This shade can work well for ceilings and trims, providing a clean and crisp contrast against walls painted in warmer shades.
- White Dove: White Dove’s creamy warmth is often favored for ceilings and trims. It adds a touch of elegance and definition while maintaining a seamless flow.
- Atrium White: Its cooler undertones and brightening effect can make smaller rooms appear larger and more open.
- White Dove: The warmer undertones of White Dove can make a larger room feel cozier and more intimate.
Here is the table of differences between these two colors:
|Specification||Atrium White||White Dove|
|RGB Values||241, 238, 228||239, 238, 229|
|Light Reflectance Value||85.05||83.16|
|Lighting Effects||Enhances brightness, suitable for well-lit rooms||Adapts to lighting changes, ideal for varied lighting|
|Room Impact||Expands small spaces, adds airiness||Creates cozy feel, suits larger rooms|
|Decors and Styles||Fits various themes, minimalist to modern||Blends seamlessly with classic and vintage|
|Furniture Impact||Allows furniture to stand out prominently||Provides a gentle backdrop, promotes cohesion|
|Seasonal Impact||Works well year-round, especially in summer||Offers coziness, ideal for fall and winter|
Choosing the right color combinations to complement Atrium White and White Dove can enhance the overall aesthetic of your space. Some color combinations work well with each shade:
- Atrium White and Soft Gray: Pairing Atrium White with soft gray accents creates a sophisticated and modern look. The contrast between the cooler white and the warm gray adds depth and interest to the space.
- Atrium White and Navy Blue: Navy blue contrasts Atrium White, creating a striking and balanced color scheme. This combination works well for adding a touch of drama to interiors.
- Atrium White and Sage Green: Sage green complements the freshness of Atrium White while bringing in a calming and natural element. This combination is perfect for creating a serene and tranquil ambiance.
- White Dove and Warm Beige: Combining White Dove with warm beige tones creates a harmonious and inviting color palette. This combination adds coziness and comfort to your space.
- White Dove and Deep Green: Deep green accents against White Dove walls bring a sense of nature and richness to the room. This combination is well-suited for creating a welcoming and organic atmosphere.
- White Dove and Rust Orange: Rust orange adds warmth and vibrancy to White Dove’s creamy backdrop. This bold yet inviting combination works particularly well in living and dining areas.
Remember that the intensity of the go-with colors and the part in which they’re used can greatly impact the overall effect. Testing out a small portion of your chosen colors in your space is a good idea before applying them to a larger space. Additionally, consider the purpose of each room and the mood you want to achieve when selecting color combinations.
The decision between Atrium White and White Dove ultimately comes down to the mood you wish to bring into your living spaces. Here’s a breakdown of the factors to consider when making your choice:
- Ambiance: If you’re aiming for a clean and open feel, Atrium White is the way to go. Its light and fresh nature can make even smaller rooms feel more spacious. On the other hand, if you desire a cozier and more traditional ambiance, White Dove’s warm undertones will help achieve that.
- Lighting: White Dove’s adaptability to different lighting conditions makes it an excellent choice for spaces with varying light sources. Atrium White also handles light well, but its slightly cooler undertones may appear crisper in brighter settings.
- Decor Style: Consider your existing decor and furnishings. Atrium White’s neutrality works well with various design styles, while White Dove’s warm undertones can enhance a classic or traditional decor theme.
- Ceiling and Trim: Both shades work beautifully for walls, but for ceilings and trims, White Dove’s creamy warmth can add a touch of elegance and definition.
- Accents and Textures: If you’re planning to incorporate colorful accents or textures, Atrium White’s neutral base might provide a more balanced backdrop, allowing your decor elements to shine.
The choice between Atrium White vs White Dove comes down to your preference of how you want your living spaces. Atrium White offers a fresh and open feel, making it ideal for modern and minimalist aesthetics. On the other hand, White Dove’s timeless elegance and adaptability to different lighting conditions make it perfect for creating inviting and cozy environments.
Remember that paint colors can look different in various settings, so it’s essential to sample both shades in your space before making a final decision. Whichever hue you choose, both Atrium White and White Dove are bound to transform your home into a canvas of serenity and style.
S. Pushon is a paint expert, self-taught artist, and currently working as an adviser in the paint industry as a Quality Improvement and Development Assistant.
An artist by heart, he draws remarkable art pieces and as a professional paint industry individual, he seeks the insight and shares with enthusiasts. Read more…